My Account

Click to register or sign in

Shopping Cart

View cart details

Canada Permanent Residency3
Picture of Expedite Travel Services

Expedite Travel Services

Express Entry: The Federal Skilled Trades Program

Eligibility Criteria

to qualify for The Federal Skilled Trades Program

National Occupational Classification (NOC) code

  • When applying for permanent residency under the federal skill trade program, you must find the correct National Occupational Classification (NOC) code that matches your primary occupation. The National Occupational Classification group jobs based on skill type, primary duties, and occupational requirement. The federal skills worker program’s job type falls under Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B).

Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under the group listed below.

Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utility supervisors and central control operators
Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

  • You must also have at least 2-year work experience within the last 5 years in skill type Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B).

By clicking the button below, you can find the correct NOC code that BEST matches your job description on the CIC Website.

After finding the correct NOC code that matches your job description, you must obtain a reference letter from your previous employer or current employer before you apply for Express Entry. The reference letter will be needed when you get an invitation to apply for permanent residence. The reference letter should be on the company letterhead, with the company name, address, contact number, and email address. The letter must state the primary duties that you have performed while working with the company.

Have a valid job offer or a certificate of qualification from a provincial or territorial body

  • You will be required to have a valid job offer for a minimum period of 12 months (1 year) or a certificate of qualification in the skilled trade area provided by the Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.

Language Ability

  • You must take an approved language test in English or French. The test will evaluate your abilities in writing, reading, listening and speaking. Under the federal skills trades program, you will need to get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for speaking and listening and Canadian Language Benchmark 4 for reading and writing.
  • The language test is valid for 2 years after the test result and must be valid when applying for permanent residence.

Register and take an IELTS exam


  • Educational history is not a requirement of the Federal Skilled Trades Program. However, you can improve your rank in the Express Entry pool if you attended a recognized institution in Canada and possess a certificate, diploma or degree.
  • If you have a foreign degree, diploma, masters, Ph.D. or certificate from an institution outside of Canada, it is recommended that you get your credentials assessed by a designated organization to ensure that your education is equal to a Canadian certificate, diploma or degree.

Please click the button below to get your qualification assessed by World Education Services.

Share this post